Due: Before 11:59 p.m. on 11/20/2020 via Canvas
This assignment addresses the following student learning outcomes (SLO):
· List the various race, ethnic and religious minorities who have immigrated to this country, their process of assimilation and the special problems they encountered. (SLO)
· List and analyze the current status of the various immigrant groups with regard to their acculturation, economic, educational and political structural assimilation. (SLO)
To complete the essay you should do the following:
· Pick one of the following racial/ethnic groups: Native Americans, African Americans, Cuban Americans, Mexican Americans, Chinese Americans, or Japanese Americans (others may be approved upon request).
· In your own words, write a comprehensive essay on your chosen group by:
1. Explaining their early process of immigration (i.e. Why did they move and why did they immigrate to the U.S.? What were the conditions of immigration?), the problems they encountered once they immigrated, and their early process of assimilation. If you chose Native Americans, you should explain their initial contact with European immigrants, problems encountered, and the early attempts of European immigrants to assimilate Native American culture into their culture.
2. Analyze the current status of the group in regards to their economic (i.e. job status and income), educational, and political assimilation. Some statistics would be appropriate for these sections.
· Define concepts as you use them throughout the text.
· Cite your sources in the body of the essay and by providing a works cited page using ASA style.
· Minimum of three sources. One of the sources may include the course textbook. The other sources must be from a library book or academic journal article. Please, no websites or other course textbooks.
· Include a title descriptive of your paper. A descriptive title is one that reflects the main argument of your paper. Thus, simply stating “Essay #2,” “Mexican Americans,” or anything similar, does not constitute a descriptive title.
· Include subheadings.
· Save your paper as a Microsoft Word or Pdf file (no other file formats will be accepted).
· Hand in your paper via Canvas before 11:59 p.m. on 11/20/2020.
· 4-5 pages (not including the works cited page or title page)
· 12 point font
· 1.25 inch margins
· Times New Roman
When grading your papers, I will among other things be considering the following:
· Student provided a comprehensive essay, showing a thoughtful and in-depth analysis including all components of the group’s immigration process (i.e. push and pull factors), the problems they encountered once they immigrated, and their early process of assimilation.
· Student provided a comprehensive essay, showing a thoughtful and in-depth analysis including all components of the group’s current status in regards to their economic, educational, and political assi